MMA Tycoon

MMA Tycoon - The MMA Management Game

Saturday 25 June 2011

The live experience

Dana White has even said it, there really is nothing like experiencing a UFC event live. I was in attendance at UFC 110 in Sydney and let me tell you, it was crazy. The atmosphere was electric, of course it helped that it was the first time the UFC had come to Australia but boy did we all eat it up.

There was one thing missing though.

Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg.

These two really make a fight night something special. I cannot imagine watching a UFC event on television without these two calling the action, it just wouldn’t be the same. I know that some people criticize what the guys do but hey, no matter what profession you are in there is going to be someone, somewhere who wants to complain. For the most part I think that the knowledge, passion and humour that these guys bring to the table is awesome.

For anybody who has been to a UFC event you know that the big screens bring a lot to the experience, not everybody has the opportunity to get the best view from their seats so the screens often allow you to see what is happening up close in the ground game or the clinch. The atmosphere is like no other sporting event you would have been to (except maybe the Superbowl!) and MMA fans are some of the most passionate fans out there when it comes to their favourite fighter stepping into the cage.

Could you imagine having Joe Rogan and Mike Goldberg in your ear as you cheer for the fighters live? There would be nothing like it. Sure, not everybody would like it but I know that sometimes when I am sitting at the bar watching the fight on the big screen right in front of me I miss some pretty basic stuff that is only a few feet away from me and it really helps when Joe and Mike can point it out. This would just add to the live experience, and sure, as I have already said, it’s probably not for everyone but I know the vast majority of people would feel the same way, these two guys MAKE a fight night just as much as the fighters.

I know that if there was a choice to pay to use some kind of streaming earpiece in the arena at the live show, I would certainly shell out the cash for it. It may not be the most practical idea but can you imagine the live experience coupled with the play by play of Joe and Mike? Now that would be a winning combination for sure, I know the idea is probably a little unrealistic but hey, these guys make a pay per view all the more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment