MMA Tycoon

MMA Tycoon - The MMA Management Game

Sunday 12 June 2011

Nice guys finish fights

Well kind of.

So I was sitting there waiting for UFC 131 to start and thinking, wow this is going to be a pretty sweet card when you look at it and I thought, three of the guys I think are going to win are also pretty nice guys and they are defiantly going to finish their fights.

I came up with a clever blog name that I thought would win me some needed internet points and I watched away. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t disappointed with the fights in any way and I certainly thought this was one hell of a card, I just wanted my blog name to tie in with the results.

Three of the nicest guys to grace Mixed Martial Arts fought last night and they all won and they were damn exciting to watch too.


I was absolutely devastated when Kenny Florian (@kennyflorian) was booed after his win. I know that the Canadian’s are passionate about their hockey, I even went and made a clever twitter hash tag (#canadiansarepoliteunlessyoudontliketheirhockeyteam) to try and calm those folks down. It was just bad luck that Kenny is from Boston and chose to wear his Bruins jersey with pride. He was humble after his win and defiantly disappointed about being booed. Kenny is a pretty down to earth guy as well, he’s funny (as I have stated before) and has defiantly made the right choice to fight at 145. It’s a shame this fight was in Vancouver because if it were anywhere else I know that crowd would have cheered their asses off for what was an awesome debut in the Featherweight division. It’s title fight time for Ken-Flo in my opinion and this time around he’s taking it.


Cain Velasquez has a new challenger and he is one hell of a fight. Dos Santos (@junior_cigano) showed the world what he was all about during TUF and defiantly got some new fans from that mass exposure, he’s demeanour after a fight is classic. When he was standing there with his corner after his victory it reminded me of hanging out with friends, he looked happy and he really looked down to earth. His attitude is something all MMA fans can relate to, he’s a nice guy and he’s genuine. I can’t wait for him to step into the cage with Cain (who is equally pretty nice) because I know that the look on Junior’s face as Dana places that belt around his waist is going to be priceless. O título é seu Cigano! (for those who don’t want to use Google Translate that means “The title is yours Cigano!)

 

I will be honest straight up. I am new to the Mark Munoz (@mark_munoz) bandwagon, after watching Countdown to UFC I actually thought to myself, “wow” he is defiantly one of the nicest guys I have EVER seen promote a fight. His story is defiantly inspiring and he adds his name to the group of wrestlers who are rapidly starting to take over the UFC. Munoz helps coach top tier fighters with their wrestling but you wouldn’t be able to tell that by just taking a quick uneducated look at him. He smiled all throughout his weigh in and also throughout his Countdown to UFC interview and kind of made you enjoy watching him talk, he's going to be a star and could defiantly be the one to take the 185lbs title next.

The nice guys came out on top this weekend in what was certainly a sensational night of fights.

Nice guys don’t finish last anymore, they go out there and they win fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment