MMA Tycoon

MMA Tycoon - The MMA Management Game

Sunday 3 July 2011

Emotions

First it was being anxious.

Then excited.

Then disappointed.

Then confused.

UFC 132 certainly took me on an emotional rollercoaster and that’s one of the reasons I love MMA so much. With so much at stake Tito came in and he conquered. I really wanted to see him walk out with a victory but I never expected it to be a submission, I figured these two would go the distance and Tito would get a win on the scorecards.

I am glad I was wrong with that because he put on one hell of a performance. A lot of people wrote him off but his true fans stuck by him and although I was anxious I knew deep down he would get the win and his awesome career would continue.

After following Tito on twitter I adopted him as another favourite fighter, I wanted him to win so badly because he really is a nice guy so when he locked in that choke I cheered and I think I may have been the only one in the bar to do so, I can't remember, I was just so happy.

As soon as I could hear Wanderlei’s music over the sound system in the bar my heart was literally racing. The air was electric. My heart was beating out of my chest. You know? All the clichés you hear people say? Well that’s exactly how I was feeling. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear the second he ran in and hit Leben but in a matter of seconds my excitement turned to sadness and then to disappointment.

My hero, my favourite fighter was laid out. I still have the utmost respect for Wanderlei and it’s not like he was going into a fight with someone with paper hands, Leben can throw them like the best of them and his shots mean business. Wanderlei got caught, but I don’t think it should be the end of the legend. Give him another fight, one more chance at redemption and the sooner the better, no long lay offs this time around.

I don’t want to take away what Leben accomplished, he beat a legend but I want to see Wanderlei get another chance, he deserves that at least.

The main event was a cracker of a fight, one of the most exciting divisions in the sport was showcased in it entirety. I would NOT have liked to have been a judge on that fight, it was a tough call to make. I was confused when someone scored all five rounds to Cruz but the end result was not one of those “up in arms” moments you often see in MMA.

A side note if I may; What Matt Wiman did after his fight was ridiculous, I don’t often “bash” fighters because I think that it’s stupid to do so, but I will throw this one out there:

Failed takedown attempts, although aggressive, are still failed and it doesn’t mean you will win a fight where you clearly lost in the first and third rounds.

Back to our main event; Cruz and Faber put on a show and I was defiantly left entertained with that one, my disappointment in seeing my favourite fighter in a heap on the ground was able to be subsided when these two men went out and gave it their all.

Cruz has such an interesting fighting style and Faber is just a little pocket of dynamite. I still couldn't get over the height difference but Faber just didn't care, he kept on firing away and giving it his all. Cruz showed why he is the champion and no matter who he faces next I see a Cruz and Faber III showdown on the horizon.

I am looking forward to everything that will fall-out from this awesome card: Carlos Condit’s eventual title shot. Melvin Guillard’s return to the spotlight. Tito’s next opponent. Wanderlei’s recovery and next fight. Faber versus Cruz III and something even closer, another emotional rollercoaster with UFC 133.

Mixed Martial Arts by way of the UFC brings out something in all of us.

Embrace it!

No comments:

Post a Comment