MMA Tycoon

MMA Tycoon - The MMA Management Game

Sunday 15 May 2011

The Average Joe

It’s Roy Nelson. (@roynelsonmma)

First off let me say that in no way am I saying that Roy is an “average” fighter, he is quite the opposite of that in fact. However he does possess some traits that many average MMA fans would probably have themselves.

If it wasn’t for me having to walk two kilometres a day in my work commute I would probably have a stature similar to Nelson‘s, the way that I treat my body with beer, burgers and what ever else I can get my hands on would blow my stomach out like nobodies business but I certainly would never be able to do what Roy does inside that cage nor look as good as he does when he‘s doing it.

He’s only lost once in the UFC and that was to Junior Dos Santos, who is one hell of a fighter. Roy goes in there and he gives it his all, that’s what won him the tenth season of TUF and that’s what makes people like him so much. I was a little on the fence about him when he fought Junior, I thought, okay, Junior is going to maul this guy just based on how I perceived Roy’s cardio. Roy showed a lot of heart in that fight and I’m sure he won over plenty of casual fans who may have just been waiting to see Anderson Silva defend his belt again.

He is another fighter who takes the time to answer his fans, by way of Twitter, when Roy has the time he is so often seen answering the questions of the fans. It almost seems as if “Big County” is just a regular guy. I know he certainly gained a lot of followers when he was guest tweeting for the UFC account, his comments were down to earth and also hilarious. He’s defiantly another fighter who has welcomed social media in MMA.

Roy embraces the way he looks which makes him all the more impressive, the fact that he can back up his words inside that cage makes him all the more of a fan favourite. It’s going to be a great night on May 28th, with the latest injury of Brock Lesnar who knows what will happen in the Heavyweight division. Should Roy be successful he may even find himself in the number one contenders position.

Roy is an inspiration for the “Average Joe” fan. There’s no six pack abs, there’s no clean cut model-esque good looks, and there certainly isn‘t a stylist helping with his hair for appearances. It’s just the average looking guy doing what he loves and being pretty darn good at it too. Roy is the portrait of what a lot of MMA fans probably see when they look in the mirror and that’s why so many people love him.

I wish Roy the best of luck at the end of the month I think that he will beat Mir, who will be the one big name that Roy needs to his resume to allow him to work his way into the title mix. He’s a “fans” fighter and really shows that if you have the right attitude you can do whatever you put your mind to.

Hell, he might have even convinced me to give MMA training a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment